2001 v6 mustang

This forum covers all other Ford V6 vehicles that do not fit in the forums above.
v6ongas
Private
Private

2001 v6 mustang

Post by v6ongas » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:06 pm

i have a 2001 mustang v6 auto with a set of headman headers (shortys), catless xpipe, catback, coldair intake, nos 100 shot, 4.10 gears, 255lph fule pump, and posi track, and of corse the special forces soft wear. it runs a 12.9 af off the bottal and a 12 flat on spray on a 93 octaine tune. i have no idea what kind of power im putting down or what kind of times i would run. i am also in north arkansas and have no dyno close or not track so numbers are hard to come by. if anyone has anyideas please let me know just a general idea would be awsome!

(sorry about misspellings)

Mattr66
Warrant Officer 5
Warrant Officer 5

Re: 2001 v6 mustang

Post by Mattr66 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:06 pm

What kind of MPH and 60ft are you running at the track on and off the bottle?

Matt R
Matt Robinson
Delta Force Gas and Diesel Tuner
www.gearheadautomotiveperformance.com

Byakuya02
Private
Private

Post by Byakuya02 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:25 pm

I have a 2001 V6 mustang (automatic transmission/232/3.8), I put Headman headers, its got a super chip, K&N kit (intake and filter), flow masters (not true dual, it goes from one pipe then splits to a Y), I may do under drive pulley (but I heard that might make no sense because unlike a manual I can't rev the engine high enough), and I probably will get a ring an pinion (3:55). I am new to this computer tuning, what will this sniper tune do for my car and can I even use it with my super chip installed? Can some one help me on this?

.....Also if you have any other suggestions that I can use to modify my car besides the use of cams, c4 transmission, and definitely not supercharge, nor Nitrous, please feel free to humble me, I accept any education I can get about all this, thank you.

SDSPEEDPARTS
Private
Private

Post by SDSPEEDPARTS » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:39 pm

Special Forces will provide you with better performance and driveability. Also Special Forces can do more than any handheld tuner on the market and they have the best customer support. You can not use it with any aftermarket tune installed.
I am familiar with your vehicle I have a 96 V6 myself that is my daily driver. My suggestions for mods would be to start with replacing the Y pipe with a H or X pipe. The H pipe will give you a deeper sound while the X pipe will give you a higher pitched tone. Either one will be better than the stock Y pipe. The gears will depend on what your main purpose for the car and your tire diameter. Unless you are running a really short tire or are concerned about mileage I would recommend 3.73 for a street car with seeing some track time and 4.10 for something that you want to see some good track performance. These are for use with the 4R70W automatic that is in it now.
I would keep the 4R70W in it instead of putting in a C4. I would recommend having the J mod done to the valve body. I did it to mine with it, the Special Forces firmness adjustments, and some custom shift point adjustments that I made with Delta Force made it a very nice shifting transmission. Even my transmission builder was impressed with it.
With those items you are pretty much at the limit with bolt ons for this motor. A larger throttle body and mildly ported intakes may give you a little at the top end but they really need to go with a cam and ported heads to really work well.
If you are willing to go into the motor the biggest improvements will be with cam and ported heads and intake, short of stroking it. Just be warned these motors can be expensive to build. If you do go the cam route depending on how aggressive the cam is you may need to step up to the Commando package or have one of the Delta Force tuners do a custom tune for you.
Let me know if you need any more info. I can help you avoid some problems and issues I have encountered with these motors.
Byakuya02 wrote:I have a 2001 V6 mustang (automatic transmission/232/3.8), I put Headman headers, its got a super chip, K&N kit (intake and filter), flow masters (not true dual, it goes from one pipe then splits to a Y), I may do under drive pulley (but I heard that might make no sense because unlike a manual I can't rev the engine high enough), and I probably will get a ring an pinion (3:55). I am new to this computer tuning, what will this sniper tune do for my car and can I even use it with my super chip installed? Can some one help me on this?

.....Also if you have any other suggestions that I can use to modify my car besides the use of cams, c4 transmission, and definitely not supercharge, nor Nitrous, please feel free to humble me, I accept any education I can get about all this, thank you.

Byakuya02
Private
Private

Post by Byakuya02 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:26 am

Thank you so much for the info and sorry it took me this long to get back to you as it has been very busy. So in other words I need to put my stock chip back, in order to use sniper tuning? What exactly is a cam shaft? Is it something I already have but is just weaker than a performance version, or is it something completely add-on. You mentioned go to H or X pipe and I even saw a kit for those in the "Mustangs and Fast Ford Mustangs" magazine, is that something I need an exhaust shop to do for me and will it give me better flow or just better sound? I did not understand when you mentioned a J mod done to the valve body, as you can tell I am amateur who did the basics to my car, please explain what that entails. And lastly What is a throttle body (I saw it as well, in the magazine but they did not explain what it is at least in layman's terms) and what can it do for me?

....oh yeah! will a 3.73 or a 4.10 be safe for the life of my car than a 3:55:1 Ratio that summit racing company recommended and can I get a 3.73 or 4.10 ratio for a ring gear diameter like mine that is 8.8 inches? Thanks again.

SDSPEEDPARTS
Private
Private

Post by SDSPEEDPARTS » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:31 am

Yes you must go back to the stock tune. A camshaft is what controls the opening and closing of the intake and exhaust valves. A cam that opens the valves more and longer let's more air/fuel mixture into the cylinders (to a point bigger is not always better w/ cams.
With the H and X pipes both will offer you better flow over they Y pipe. Because of the differences how the two sides connect between a X and a H pipe the sound is different. Performance difference between a H and X pipe are minimal for your application IMO. With the Flowmaster Y pipe you have it would probably be cheaper to have a good muffler shop do it.
Basically a J mod is like a shift kit but it addresses durability issues w/ the 4R70W. It involves removing the valve body and changing parts and a few other mods. Do a google search for J mod and do a little reading on it. I will try to find the link to the site w/ the full mod and PM it to you. After you read up on it I would recommend that if you decide to have it done to call some transmission shops in your area to see if any of them are familiar w it and how much to have it done. This would be best for you because the inside of an automatic transmission can be overwhelming.
A throttle body is the valve that your foot opens w the accelerator to control the amount of air going into the motor. A larger throttle body will allow more air through at wide open throttle than the stock throttle body.
There will be less life with the 3.73 or the 4.10's. With those gears as you cruise at 65 the RPMs will be higher than with the 3.55's. It will depend on how much you are willing to trade for the extra acceleration.
Have you already put a GT rear end in your car because the V6 Mustangs had a 7.5" rear end stock.
I also sent you a PM. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Return to “V6 Engines”